Friday 10 July 2020

Dead maker pens


What’s this? Two dried out marker pens (can you tell that I'm working on clearing off my desk?).

Dead Staedtler Lumocolour Pens

These are Staedtler Lumocolour pens, non-permanent 316 fine point in this case. Marker pens are generally fire-and-forget items but these are marked as refillable, not something I have seen before. Ordinarily they would just get junked and replaced by new ones, but Staedtler make excellent markers, so let’s investigate.

Got a part number from the Staedtler catalogue for the refills package, which appears to be a small pot of ink that you stand the pen up in while it wicks the ink back up through the nib. The whole thing is quite neat.

Staedtler Ink Refill Station

At £8.50 on Amazon the price is OK as the pens are £1.30 a pop new (so not cheap but not too dear either). As a pot should refill 10 pens it will take 6.5 refills before buying the ink is cheaper than buying new pens, which is equivalent to buy 2 get 1 free. Although it is a reasonable deal, the downside is that I would have to buy 2 different colours and I don’t get through enough maker pens for me to feel confident that I will get 10 pens out of a refill pot before the ink goes dry. It might take 5 years to get through 5 red pens.

What to do?

I think I will sit on this one and just chuck them into the pens parts bin in case a use case for large amounts of non-permanent markers crops up.

JOB DONE

Time taken: About an hour of research
Cost: nil

No comments:

Post a Comment